A Universal Design Approach
By law we are required to design to the Ontario Building code however a universal approach was taken to the design of the Shaw Centre, which meet the following codes, standards and requirements (whichever is more stringent):
- Ontario Building Code (2006)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Americans with disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG) (2004)
- CAN/CSA-B651 (2004 and draft 2010), Accessible Design for the Built Environment
- The Building Beta test that was conducted to test accessibility features and emergency communications protocols prior to opening was effective.
Although not required to do so in Canada, we voluntarily designed to meet ADA and ADAAG requirements, since the American convention market is important to us and the latter is a requirement for American groups.